Sunday, March 3, 2013

Garmin on the bicyle and Garmin in the air

Just a little off topic, but interesting data as it relates to riding a bicycle, the Wright Brothers were bicycle mechanics and many aerodynamic principles of riding a bicycle apply to flying an airplane. Also a recent change in bicycle technology and materials is a result of many aircraft engineers switching careers and applying their skills in the bicycle industry. For example David Tiemeyer applied his helicopter engineering skills to his bladed bicycle design.

I am currently doing my Biannual flight review after getting my Private Pilot license 22 years ago in 1991. Things have certainly changed in the past 22 years, we currently have GPS navigation for bicycles, for cars, for boats and for airplanes, even cell phones have GPS built in.

I decided to take my Garmin Edge 305 bicycle computer with heart rate monitor up today in the Cessna 172 which also had a Garmin G1000 glass cockpit with digital displays. I was curious to see what my bicycle computer would be able to track, I wanted to see what my heart rate zones were, especially during takeoff and landings. As I thought my heart rate was at the highest during takeoff and landings due to the increased stress and adrenalin release, not quite the endurance workout I would get on the bicycle, although a fair bit of climbing and descending was done in the aircraft.

Today I practiced slow flight or minimum controllable airspeed, power off stalls, power on stalls and did two touch and go landings. Below are the results from the Garmin Edge 305 bicycle computer which worked like a charm in the aircraft, by wedging it between the dashboard and windscreen so that it was exposed to the satellites.

Weather:
Wind = 300 @ 8 knots
Visibility = 10 Statute Miles
Sky Conditions = 10,000 foot ceiling
Temperature = 0 degrees Celsius
Dew point = minus 8 degrees Celsius
Barometric Pressure = 29.71
Runway used = 32

Performance Data:
Pressure Altitude = 291 feet
Density Altitude = -1,509 feet
Headwind component = 7.5 knots
Crosswind component = 2.7 knots
Takeoff distance = 756 feet
Obstacle clearance distance = 1,295 feet
Rate of Climb = 698 feet per minute
Landing distance = 516 feet
Ground roll distance 1,208 feet

Cessna 172 Garmin G1000 Glass Cockpit

Flight Altitude

Hear Rate

Aircraft Grade during maneuvers

Aircraft Speed

Summary of Flight

No comments: